In case you missed it with all the excitement that the end of year brings, Microsoft have released the latest build of ConfigMgr 1610 to all ConfigMgr customers.
Microsoft have released information on a number of features in this release that are going to improve projects I’m currently involved with, as well as some enhancements for ConfigMgr Admins day-to-day usage;
- Windows 10 Upgrade Analytics integration allows you to assess and analyse device readiness and compatibility with Windows 10 to allow smoother upgrades.
- Office 365 Servicing Dashboard and app deployment to clients features help you to deploy Office 365 apps to clients as well as track Office 365 usage and update deployments.
- Software Updates Compliance Dashboard allows you to view the current compliance status of devices in your organization and quickly analyse the data to see which devices are at risk. Monitoring > Security > Software Updates Dashboard.
- Client Peer Cache is a new built-in solution in Configuration Manager that allows clients to share content with other clients directly from their local cache with monitoring and troubleshooting capabilities.
- Enhancements in Software Center including customizable branding in more dialogs, notifications of new software, improvements to the notification experience for high-impact task sequence deployments, and ability for users to request applications and view request history directly in Software Center.
- New remote control features including performance optimization for remote control sessions and keyboard translation.
This release also includes new features for customers using Configuration Manager connected with Microsoft Intune. Some of the new feature include:
- New configuration item settings and improvements now only show settings that apply to the selected platform. We also added lots of new settings for Android (23), iOS (4), Mac (4), Windows 10 desktop and mobile (37), Windows 10 Team (7), Windows 8.1 (11), and Windows Phone 8.1 (3).
- Lookout integration allows to check device’s compliance status based on its compliance with Lookout rules.
- Request a sync from the admin console improvement allows you to request a policy sync on an enrolled mobile device from the Configuration Manager console.
- Support for paid apps in Windows Store for Business allows you to add and deploy online-licensed paid apps in addition to the free apps in Windows Store for Business.
I’ve deployed the 1610 update at a couple of clients now in production use, and the upgrade has gone smoothly. Be prepared; the update can take a couple of hours to complete. I have hit one hurdle with implementing the new Office 365 Servicing Dashboard, the dashboard is stuck at loading data, this issues has been reported to Microsoft by several people and the product group is aware of it. This is unfortunate as this was one of the features that I believe will be beneficial for rolling out and managing Office 365.